Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Medical Lab Technician
at Health Texas
- San Antonio, TX, USA
- Full Time
High school diploma or equivalent. Certification as a Laboratory Technician or equivalent, per state regulations (ISCLT, NCA). Six months experience as a laboratory technician preferred. Must have documentation of training appropriate for the testing performed prior to analysis of any specimens. Must possess excellent organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work without direct supervision.
Performs medical laboratory tests and procedures of waived Provider Preferred Microscopic Procedures (PPMP) and/or moderate complexity in accordance with applicable guidelines.
- Performs clinical analysis of blood and other body fluids to determine chemical components.
- Mounts, stains, and examines smears under microscope for bacteria.
- Performs hematological testing. Examines smears for parasites or other irregularities in the specimen.
- Performs other blood tests as ordered for patient care.
- Performs quality control checks of instruments, solutions, and test results against established standards. Maintains quality assurance and proficiency testing as required by CLIA.
- Performs venipuncture and capillary punctures on patients. Identifies and labels specimens.
- Performs routine laboratory procedures such as preparing slides and culturing specimens.
- Prepares reagents, stains, and other chemical solutions.
- Inventories laboratory supplies. Cleans equipment and work areas. Disposes of contaminated materials according to policy.
- Logs patient specimens and enters test results on forms.
- Collects data, prepares reports, answers correspondence, and compiles statistics as directed.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Maintains patient confidentiality and complies with HIPAA regulations.
- Uses oral and written communication skills to effectively convey ideas in a clear, positive manner.
- Maintains established medical group policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control.
- Implements job responsibilities in a manner that is consistent with the Code of Ethics.
- Maintains regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined in the medical group's sole discretion.
- Performs other related work as required.