San Antonio Water System
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Enterprise Architect - Infrastructure
at San Antonio Water System
Pay: $90252 to $161588/year
$90252 - $161588
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 1851128
Overall Job Objective
Salary starts at $90,252.00 annually. Rate of pay depends on qualifications.
- Job Description
JOB SUMMARYThe Senior Enterprise Architect is responsible for defining, upholding, and promoting the vision of the IT architecture and solutions across all SAWS information systems. The position will be responsible for ensuring best practice of the overall and strategic design, development, testing and implementation of SAWS information solutions. The position will work closely with the Enterprise Architects, Solution Architects, Business Analysts and Project Managers and operational support teams. In particular, they will guide and support the delivery of new IT solutions making sure the new technology platforms are appropriately used. The architect will leverage their technical skills and experience to develop cost effective, timely solutions to meet functional and performance requirements while focusing on reuse.
The Senior Enterprise Architect is responsible for not only ensuring SAWS portfolio functions reliably, but the role also helps plan for the future state of the information systems portfolio and the business capabilities it provides. The role requires a very strong collaboration with the Directors and Senior Managers as well as the entire Information Systems team. The person will be responsible for helping drive application, infrastructure, communications and security industry standards and best practices; performing cost benefit tradeoff analysis; keeping current with industry trends and emerging technologies; provide guidance and direction to the various development, customer, and business groups on infrastructure and security technology standards that drive quality and performance and support the SAWS strategic plan; and ensure that applications, infrastructure and security needs are architected for total scalability and performance.
This position will work across all applications, infrastructure and security foundations (server, storage, network, and voice, video, and enterprise applications) to comprehend and recommend improvements and enhancements to existing and all future implementations and set the technology direction for SAWS on all current and future application and infrastructure projects and processes.
- Develops and maintains current and planned state architectural documents such as Domain roadmaps, Standards, Patterns, reference architecture/implementation documents for Enterprise Applications. Develop strategies, roadmaps, standards and reference architecture/implementation for Enterprise tools.
- Understands and transforms business requirements into scalable/manageable solution architecture and design specifications for reliability, scalability, security and integration.
- Solves complex problems with many variables using various security, network, storage, and compute platforms.
- Develops full-stack and reference architecture designs for infrastructure across hybrid environments inclusive of cloud platforms.
- Participates in the development of governance processes to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately and the organization's resources are used responsibly for the infrastructure landscape.
- Documents existing systems architecture and technology portfolio to ensure accuracy is maintained.
- In partnership with the IT leadership team, identifies opportunities and risks for architecting the company's applications or infrastructure solutions, including identification of competitive services, opportunities for innovation, total cost of ownership, benefits and assessment of marketplace obstacles and technical hurdles.
- Leverages industry standards to guide solution decisions in relation to reliability, scalability, security and integration for the enterprise.
- Designs Technical/Application Architectures, including development, testing, runtime and operations architectures.
- Defines solutions using Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), micro services patterns, automating business process models and cloud based services.
- Designs message- and event-driven architectures. Creates prototypes and authoring detailed interaction specifications.
- Interacts with business units in response to service requests; researches and gathers all necessary details to determine functional requirements to meet project user's needs.
- Owns integration for integration scenarios across applications, data and processes, as well as code deployment and solution monitoring activities.
- Works closely with other Solution Architects/Designers/Developers to ensure consistency, compliance with IT standards, policies and architectural plans, quality of solutions and knowledge sharing.
- Defines and delivers integrated solutions by applying proven delivery methodologies including Agile and Model-Driven techniques liaison with developers in the delivery of custom solutions or COTS configurations/customizations supporting the integration platform.
- Reviews and provides input to test plans, implementation plans, and project timelines for various projects to ensure proper coverage of integration activities.
- Participates in highly complex or impactful operational incidents to ensure proper response and resolution to issues and errors. Stays abreast of how information technologies are currently impacting and driving competitors and provide recommendations and subject matter expertise regarding industry trends, technology and tools / services.
- Provides mentoring on advanced technology concepts and technical capabilities Information Systems staff.
- Provides leadership in creating, maintaining and marketing the architectural vision and direction of information technology under guidance from the CIO.
- Responsible for approving invoices, developing decision analysis criteria, and consultant or contractor selection.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- This position works under limited supervision.
- This position serves as a technical lead, providing guidance and mentorship to staff.
- Supervises assigned staff.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems or other related field plus seven (7) years' implementation experience with demonstrated expertise architecting in several business and technical verticals with multiple technologies OR Associate's in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems or other related field plus eleven (11) years' implementation experience with demonstrated expertise architecting in several business and technical verticals with multiple technologies.
- Understanding of industry standard frameworks, including TOGAF, Zachman or FEAF Framework.
- Master's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems or other related field from an accredited college or university.
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) Certification.
- MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure or AWS Cloud Architect.
- VMware Certified Advanced Professional 6 -- Cloud Management and Automation Design.
- Some background in Utility or equivalent environment.
- Knowledge of Applications technologies, principles and patterns.
- Windows Server: In-depth knowledge for application hosting, performance tuning and application deployments. Knowledge of Linux Operating Systems, Cloud based storage, NAS and SAN.
- Extensive knowledge and hands on technical experience with Cloud to include Public/Private or Hybrid.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Exchange or Office 365, Azure/AWS/Google Cloud, Active Directory, Solution Sizing for hardware/software platforms, Infrastructure Management Tools and monitoring tools, Cisco Networking, F5 Load Balancers, and Virtualization and container technologies.
- Knowledge of Industry standard security requirements and designs.
- Must be experienced, organizationally savvy, and these skills must cross multiple IT disciplines including, integration, application, and data domains.
- Strong communication skills to effectively communicate with and make strategic recommendations to senior level management as well as all levels of internal/external service partners.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to perform/drive in-depth analysis of systems, data flows processes, and architectural trade-offs.
- Excellent verbal communication and written, with active listening and summarization skills.
- Frequent contact with executive management, mid-management, staff, administrators, internal and external customers, consultants, vendors, and outside agencies.
- Ability to translate broader business initiatives into clear and pragmatic team objectives and concrete individual goals, aligning appropriately with other groups for efficient, coordinated action.
- Ability to draw conclusions and effectively communicates findings with both technical and non-technical team members, providing active leadership skills across project team and business community.
- Ability to partner with other functions across IT (PM, BA, EA, Security, Operations) to ensure collaboration, consistency, quality and timeliness of solutions.
- Proven strong negotiating and consensus building abilities.
- Ability to adapt to technology shifts over time.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONSWorking conditions are primarily in an office environment and performs occasional to regular field visits with exposure to traffic, construction, rugged terrain, and hazardous environmental conditions. Operates a company vehicle on an occasional to frequent basis.
May be required to work hours other than the regular schedule.