Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City Independent School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Special Education Teacher
at Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City Independent School District
Job Reference #: 1053
Openings as of 10/16/2019
Special Education - All Levels
- Special Education Teacher JobID: 1053
- Position Type:
Special Education - All Levels
- Date Posted:
Various Campuses - PreK - 12th
- Date Available:
- Closing Date:
Open until filled
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited university
- Valid Texas teaching certificate with required special education endorsements for assignments
- Valid Texas teaching certificate with general education endorsements for assigments
- ESL certificate preferred or willingness to acquire
- Knowledge of special needs of students in assigned area
- Knowledge of Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) Committee process and Individual Education Plan (IEP) goal setting process and implementation
- General knowledge of curriculum and instruction
- At least one year student teaching or approved internship
- Collaborate with students, parents, and other members of staff to develop IEP through the ARD Committee process for each student assigned.
- Implement an instructional, therapeutic, or skill development program for assigned students and show written evidence of preparation as required.
- Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned.
- Work cooperatively with classroom teachers to modify regular curricula as needed and assist special education students in regular classes with assignments.
- Participate in ARD Committee meetings on a regular basis.
- Conduct assessment of student learning styles and use results to plan for instructional activities.
- Present subject matter according to guidelines established by IEP.
- Employ a variety of instructional techniques and media to meet the needs and capabilities of each student assigned.
- Plan and supervise assignments for teacher aide(s) and volunteer(s).
- Use technology in teaching/learning process.
- Conduct ongoing assessments of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
- Provide or supervise personal care, medical care, and feeding of students as stated in IEP.
- Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities as assigned. Sponsor outside activities approved by campus principal.
- Be a positive role model for students; support mission of school district.
- Create classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Manage student behavior and administer discipline. This includes intervening in crisis situations and physically restraining students as necessary according to IEP.
- Consult with classroom teachers regarding management of student behavior according to IEP.
- Consult district and outside resource people regarding education, social, medical, and personal needs of students.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Assist in selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
- Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals, and teachers.
- Maintain a professional relationship with colleagues, students, parents, and community members.
- Use effective communication skills to present information accurately and clearly.
- Participate in staff development activities to improve job-related skills.
- Keep informed of and comply with federal, state, district, and school regulations and policies for special education teachers.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
Job Title: Special Education Teacher
Pay Grade: Teacher Scale
Dept./School: Assigned Campuses
Wage/Hour Status: Exempt
Reports to: Principal
Days/Dates: 187 (08/08/2019 - 05/29/2020)
Primary Purpose: Provide special education students with learning activities and experiences designed to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth. Develop or modify curricula and prepare lessons and other instructional materials to student ability levels. Work in self-contained, team, departmental, or itinerant capacity as assigned.
Major Responsibilities and Duties: Instructional Strategies
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Frequent standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing, and pulling. Move small stacks of textbooks, media equipment, desks, and other classroom or adaptive equipment. May be required to lift and position students with physical disabilities; control behavior through physical restraint; and assist nonambulatory students. Exposure to biological hazards.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required.
Employee Signature Date
Supervisor Signature Date