The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at The Geo Group
Facility: HECTOR GARZA CENTER
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Abraxas Youth and Family Services is a national leader in the operation of residential treatment facilities and community-based programs for troubled youth and their families. We offer a wide array of services to include life skills, mental health services, cognitive behavioral therapy, family counseling, drug and alcohol treatment, case management services, recreational activities as well as vocational and educational services. Abraxas is a great place to start your career whether you have a high school diploma or GED, military experience, some college, or a bachelor or advanced degree. If you are interested in counseling, juvenile justice, psychology, social work, teaching or just want to make a difference, we have a career path for you. Help change lives at Abraxas Youth and Family Services.
The position promotes good health, treats minor medical problems, responds to medical emergencies, provides first aid, administers medications, and ensures that the medical needs of clients are addressed. The position assists in the assessment, planning, intervention, and evaluation of nursing care under the direction of the appropriate medical staff member.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of and in collaboration with an appropriate medical staff member (i.e. physician or registered nurse), assists with the medical treatment of clients by ensuring the components of the nursing process are effectively applied. Designated as the Responsible Health Authority.
- Designates appropriate client referrals to the contracted physician(s) and other medical agencies or practitioners.
- Administers physician prescribed medications and vaccines.
- Controls and maintains adequate inventory of medications and medical supplies.
- Responds to all medical emergencies, provides first aid and periodically works "on-call" shifts to provide emergency assistance as needed.
- Maintains all medical documentation, medical history, and file on each client and abides by HIPAA compliance rules and regulations.
- Actively participates in nursing related performance improvement activities.
- Participates in health training of clients to include hygiene, nutrition, and diet.
- Participates in multidisciplinary treatment team meetings.
- Coordinates with community service agencies, as required, to ensure routine and emergency medical care for clients and staff members.
- Promotes good health habits, hygiene, and nutrition with all clients.
- Evaluates continuously the quality of medical care for the clients.
- Ensures medical services department complies with all licensing and regulatory statues.
- Communicates all pertinent client related medical information to program/facility staff members per HIPPA related rules and regulations.
- Maintains compliance with company exposure plan to include OSHA and bloodborne pathogens.
- Demonstrates appropriate use of Safe Crisis Management techniques and skills.
The following educational requirements are acceptable for this classification including:
- Licensed practical nurse license to practice in the appropriate State by the board in which the program/facility resides.
- One (1) year related experience in the juvenile field.
- Trainer certification eligible or current certification in CPR/First Aid.
- At least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Criminal clearances (Act 33 and 34, specific State & child clearances and, if necessary, FBI).
- Non-communicable diseases physical exam.
- Valid driver's license from employee’s state of residence.
- Valid registered vehicle insurance.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.