The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at The Geo Group
Facility: HECTOR GARZA CENTER
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Abraxas Youth and Family Services is a national leader in the operation of residential treatment facilities and community-based programs for troubled youth and their families. We offer a wide array of services to include life skills, mental health services, cognitive behavioral therapy, family counseling, drug and alcohol treatment, case management services, recreational activities as well as vocational and educational services. Abraxas is a great place to start your career whether you have a high school diploma or GED, military experience, some college, or a bachelor or advanced degree. If you are interested in counseling, juvenile justice, psychology, social work, teaching or just want to make a difference, we have a career path for you. Help change lives at Abraxas Youth and Family Services.
- This position promotes good health, treats minor medical conditions, provides first aid, administers medications and ensures the medical needs of the clients are addressed under the supervision of the Nurse Manger or designated licensed medical staff in the absence of the Nurse Manager.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Administers prescription and over-the-counter medications, first aid, and triages to clients as needed on the shift.
- Perform visual inspection of medication logs to assure that client medications are administered at scheduled times
- Addresses sick calls and provides treatment under the Physician’s Standing Orders.
- Completes the medical intake process including measuring vital signs and initial health assessments.
- Maintains all medical documentation, medical history, and file on each client and abides by HIPAA compliance rules and regulations.
- Designates appropriate client referrals to the contracted physician.
- Orders and maintains stock of prescription medications, vaccines and medical supplies.
- Performs daily assessment of program medical issues and consults or coordinates with appropriate medical staff member as required to ensure medical department operations are completed.
- Responds to interventions and monitors resident physical status during the intervention.
- Supports the Abraxas philosophy and mission and promotes the Seven Key Principles of care.
- Demonstrates appropriate use of Safe Crisis Management techniques and skills.
- The following educational requirements are acceptable for this classification including:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Certified as a medical assistant or medical technician
- Other Qualifications:
- At least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Criminal clearances (Act 33 and 34, specific State & child clearances and, if necessary, FBI).
- Non-communicable diseases physical exam.
- Valid driver's license from employee’s state of residence.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.