YMCA of Greater San Antonio
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Group Exercise Instructor
at YMCA of Greater San Antonio
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Instructs group classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that welcomes people of all skill and fitness levels. Effectively builds community within the class. Modifies class as needed to meet varied health, ability and cultural needs.
Instructs group classes in a safe, supportive and welcoming environment that promotes member wellness and engagement by following YMCA policies and procedures.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
1. Enthusiastically lead an energizing, fun, safe, and educational group fitness class, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
2. Answer questions from members to nurture goal achievement related to healthy living. Maintains working knowledge of current wellness trends from respected industry leaders to inform and support members.
3. Build effective, genuine, and professional relationships with members; encourage building a community by fostering connections with other members and YMCA staff.
4. Observes and adjusts approach to support all participants’ capabilities, physical conditions, health, and culture.
5. Celebrates achievement of program participants related to program or personal goals, mastering of specific skills or overall health and well-being.
6. Document accurate class attendance records on a timely basis.
7. Begin each class with a Higher Thought, story or inspirational word.
8. Attend all required staff meetings; departmental, branch and, association level.
9. Follow YMCA policies and procedures; respond appropriately to emergency situations.
10. Maintain required certification(s) by meeting/exceeding continuing education requirements and keep current with legitimate trends in individual proficiency and the industry.
11. Refrain from diagnosing injuries, offering medical advice and dispensing or endorsing any commercial health products especially nutritional supplements, vitamins, performance-enhancing substances and pain relievers/treatments/therapies.
12. Refrain from the promotion of any merchandise or services from outside the YMCA.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Communication & Influence
- Engaging Community
1. At least one year of experience instructing group wellness classes is preferred.
2. Have a general knowledge of group exercise equipment, sound systems, cardiovascular and strength training, and health and wellness techniques.
3. Must have effective interpersonal skills and be able to facilitate group interaction/socialization and exhibit teamwork with members, co-workers, and management staff.
4. National certification (ACE, ACSM, AFAA, FitTour, ISSA, NETA, and some others) in group fitness instruction or YMCA Foundations of Group Exercise certification required*, or may be obtained within six months of employment.
5. Additional certification(s) in other proficiencies/areas of expertise (i.e., Group Cycling, Les Mills Programming, Pilates, Yoga, ZUMBA, etc.) are required.
6. Certifications required within the first week of hire: Redwoods Bloodborne Pathogens and Hazardous Communications.
7. Certifications required within the first 60 days of hire: YMCA Healthy Lifestyles, YMCA approved basic life saving skills such as CPR, First Aid, AED, and Emergency Oxygen.
*The following instructor certifications are exempted from the National Group Exercise requirement. However, you are strongly encouraged to obtain this type of certification as it serves as a foundation for movement and provides other basic education information needed for leading any group exercise class:
- Les Mills proficiency certification
- Yoga - Registered Yoga School RYS instructor certification
- Pilates - National Commission for Certifying Agencies NCCA accredited Pilates school certification
1. Work is generally performed indoors in a health & wellness facility with the use of fitness equipment or, on occasion, outdoors with supervisor approval.
2. Physical ability to conduct classes and activities.
3. Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including leading class, walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
4. Visual acuity required for reading computer screens and other documents as well as teaching a safe group exercise class.
5. The instructor must be able to correct unsafe movement in a nurturing, encouraging manner, and consistently deliver professional instruction to a wide variety of learning styles and skill levels.