YMCA of Greater San Antonio
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at YMCA of Greater San Antonio
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. With the general guidance of the Site Director or Program Director, the Group Leader supervises a group of children in accordance to YMCA and Texas Licensing regulations. Instructor must provide a safe, supportive, and enjoyable environment for the children. This team member is responsible for the direct supervision of program participants and will assist in leading program activities.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
1. Supervises children’s arrival and departures, accounting for the attendance of each child.
2. Supervises children at all times both in small and large group activities.
3. Directs and assists children with learning activities to include homework.
4. Implements daily enrichment activities.
5. Supervises and safely leads recreational activities.
6. Provides age-appropriate behavioral guidance and support.
7. Maintains program and facility cleanliness according to YMCA guidelines and standards.
8. Builds partnerships with parents, school day care personnel, and the community.
9. Distributes snacks and meals to participants in accordance with DFPS regulation.
10. Clocks in and out on time daily.
11. Completes required on-going training to include:
a. Fall In-service
b. Spring In-service
c. 40 Developmental Assets
d. Redwoods Trainings
e. A minimum of 6 hours of training per semester
f. Site based Meetings
g. All-Staff Meetings
12. Participates in school and branch events.
13. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
14. Adheres to all YMCA safety procedures.
• Communication & Influence
• Emotional Maturity
1. Must be 18 years of age and with at least 6 months of childcare experience.
2. A High School Diploma or GED is required.
3. Certifications required within the first week of hire: Redwoods Bloodborne Pathogens and Hazardous Communications
4. Certifications required within the first 60 days of hire: YMCA approved basic life saving skills such as CPR, First Aid, AED, and Emergency Oxygen.
5. Must be able to establish and maintain harmonious relationships by promoting caring, honesty, respect and responsibility with staff, YMCA members, and program participants.
6. Must be a positive role model to children, displaying emotional maturity and stability at all times.
7. Ability to plan, organize and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities.
8. Previous experience in building positive, authentic relationships with diverse populations.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
1. Work is performed in an active environment.
2. Incumbent must have the ability to communicate with staff, children and parents.
3. This position requires high levels of attention and alertness.
4. Visual acuity is required for child supervision.
5. Repetitive stooping and bending with regular lifting of up to 20 pounds is required. Ability to stand and walk for long periods at a time is required, as well as, the ability to run and be able to participate in sports.
6. Must be able to respond to emergency situations.